Stopping smoking is the best thing you’ll ever do. Quitting can make a drastic improvement to your lifestyle and health in ways you might not expect. Once you stop smoking, some of the benefits are immediate and some are longer-term. Just imagine yourself being smokefree. Feeling great and being free of the addiction.
Thinking about the reasons to quit is a great way to motivate yourself.
How will my health benefit?
- You will reduce your risk of developing illness, disability or death caused by cancer, heart or lung disease.
- You will reduce your risk of gangrene or amputation caused by circulatory problems.
- You will reduce the risk of going blind or developing cataracts.
- You will improve your fertility levels and your chance of a healthy pregnancy and baby.
- You will improve your breathing and general fitness.
- You will enjoy the taste of food more.
- You will protect the health of those around you by not exposing them to second-hand smoke.
How will my lifestyle improve?
- You will save money – as much as several hundred pounds a month, if you’re a heavy smoker. Check the NHS cost calculator to find out how much you will save.
- You will no longer smell of stale tobacco.
- The appearance of your skin and teeth will improve.
- Your home and car will smell fresh and is likely to maintain its value for a longer time.
- You will reduce the risk of fire in your home and may pay lower insurance premiums.